After the shock and trauma of being involved in a car accident, it’s crucial to make the right moves for the best possible outcome. If you sustain any losses in the accident, making a wrong move after the crash could comprise your ability to recover damages.
Knowing what you shouldn’t do after a car accident will protect your rights and prevent legal complications. The main actions to avoid after an automobile accident include:
Leaving the Scene of The Crash
Never leave the scene after a car accident. In Florida, it’s against the law to leave the scene of an accident without first performing the legally required actions, including:
- Stopping your vehicle at or as close as possible to the scene of the accident.
- Notifying the other driver or owner of the property of your name, address, and vehicle registration number.
- If requested, presenting your driver’s license.
- Offering information to the reporting officers.
- For unattended property, either locating the property owner or attaching the driver’s name, address and registration number to the property and informing law enforcement.
Leaving the scene without completing these actions could lead to legal charges against you.
Not Calling the Police
Call the police immediately after an accident. The police will investigate the crash and create a report that will be a vital source of information if a legal case is filed. Additionally, the police can make sure that the drivers provide all of the required information to each other and help direct traffic to prevent another accident.
Not Exchanging Information
Exchanging information with the other driver is crucial after an accident, namely for insurance coverage. You’ll need to exchange insurance information to receive compensation for damage incurred in the accident.
After an auto accident, what you say could have a major impact on a potential legal case. Even saying “I’m sorry” to the other driver could be quoted as an admission of guilt in a case. So, say only what’s necessary to exchange information with the other driver and promptly call your lawyer after a crash.
The attorneys at Weldon & Rothman, P.A. are experienced in auto accident cases and will protect your rights after a crash. Contact us to schedule a consultation today.