Florida Car Accidents with Out-of-State Drivers

As one of the country’s most popular tourist destinations, Florida attracts millions of visitors every year. While there are many positives of Florida’s thriving tourism department, out-of-state drivers can complicate the aftermath of a car accident. Thankfully, with an experienced car accident attorney by your side, you can resolve insurance complications after a crash with an out-of-state driver.

Read on for more information about what to do after being in an auto accident with a non-Florida driver. 

What to Do After an Accident with an Out-of-State Driver

After an accident with an out-of-state driver in Florida, follow the same steps as you would with a regular crash, including:

  1. Call the police. 
  2. Seek medical attention for any injuries. 
  3. Take photos and videos of the crash.
  4. Gather contact and insurance information from the other driver, as well as contract information from any witnesses. 
  5. Contact your insurance company to start filing a claim. 

You’ll likely need to file a claim with the out-of-state driver’s insurance company. This process can be more complicated than contacting an in-state driver’s insurance company, so take extra care to gather evidence and contact information after the crash. Additionally, given the added complication of an out-of-state driver, it’s often wise to contact an auto accident attorney for assistance throughout the process of obtaining compensation for your losses. 

Florida Law for Out-of-State Drivers

Rest assured, out-of-state visitors driving in Florida must adhere to state laws, including Florida’s Long Arm Statute. This protects in-state drivers by granting Florida courts the ability to summon nonresidents, including out-of-state drivers, as a judge sees fit. The statute may help you obtain your rightful compensation if you’re not able to settle the case out of court. 

If you or a loved one was recently involved in a car accident with an out-of-state driver, contact the team at Weldon & Rothman, PL for a free case evaluation